Saturday, February 13, 2016

Snorkeling the Silfra Fissure- Iceland


I did everything on the cheap when I was in Iceland, so I had to splurge on just this one thing. I have no regrets! I booked thru Iceland Adventure Tours, and  I wouldn't have done it thru anyone else. When we arrived at Þingvellir, I saw dozens of other tour groups that were packed full of people. Our group was only 5 people. I don't know about you but I want to see the area, not other people's butts. They said the max is 9 people thru this company. Perfect size! Plus they were the cheapest and the only one that didn't charge for pickup. Our guide was awesome too. No complaints at all.

At the begining he said, "I have to take a picture of all you smiling" after all, the water was only 8 degrees. He had a great sence of humor about the whole thing. It was cold, but it was actually warmer in the water, so I was first in!





 Everything about this is unbelievable! How many people can say they snorkeled between the tectonic plates?
 The water was crystal clear.
 This was so clean you could take off your mask and drink the water you are floating in. It was a big part of the experience because I feel like it is a once in a lifetime feeling.
 You are wearing a dry suit the whole time with a onesie underneath that they provided. Don't forget to wear your base layer under it all, you will be changing outside. Trust me, this is not the place to be outside in your underwear.




At the end we walked back still feeling the rush of this amazing experience. My face and hands were cold but not unbearable. My dry suit froze to my body so I needed assistance getting out of it. Imagine a baby on it's back getting it's footy pajamas taken off, now replace that baby with a 25 year old me laughing my head off. Yeah, this is a thing.
I had a fantastic time. I would absolutely recommend this. My hands hurt so bad from the cold after but I didn't even care. This was a huge thrill. If you can't get a clear view of the video watch this here!

No comments:

Post a Comment