Saturday, December 6, 2014

Turtle Tour!


I have been dying to see some sea turtles since before I even arrived it was everything I had hoped for. Booked through the info center next to Lo Qué Hay, I was able to watch hundreds of baby Tortuga Loras ( Olive Ridley Turtles) make their first journey. Over 2000 babies made it to the ocean that day and it was awesome! 

Our momma turtle layed eggs and made it back safely too, but there was a few casualties. They had to stop her from digging for a minute to save some eggs she was crushing because she was laying where a nest was already. The beach had so many nests, I dug my feet into the sand and found eggs. Proceed with caution on Playa Congrejal.  If you ever see babies don't use any light. The babies follow light and may never make it to the ocean. We used a red light to guide our babies safely because it is less disorienting but nature does it best. I learned so much and would highly recommend this. Let me know if you have any questions and I will see if I can answer them!

No comments:

Post a Comment