Saturday, May 14, 2016

Isla Mujeres, Mexico

    This trip is all about family and friends. Although I loved my adventure traveling alone, I also enjoy sharing my trips with people I care about.

    Isla Mujeres has a lot to offer. I spent most of my time playing with my adorable neice, goofing off with my sister, and enjoying the sunshine and water. More on the water activities in the next blog. For now let's stay above the sea.

    There is a very touristy side of Isla Mujeres, but that is easy to find, I'm all about showing you what you wouldn't be able to find as easy. For my first little day trip, we headed out to the Tortugranja, or turtle farm. If you have kids or just love to see turtles, this is the place to go. If you continue walking, you will get to see the sharks nearby (or even swim with them). For $3 and a nice bike ride, I was happy I went.

    On the boat, I was eager to help out. Most of my skills are in throwing together food, but when they asked me to change a light bulb 20 meters up at the top of the mast, you bet I was up for it.
 And the view was a thrill.
     On a different day, I headed out to check out the end of the island, or Punta Sur. This is the first place in all of Mexico that the sun hits when it rises. I didn't go see it during sunrise, but I bet it would be special. The entrance is only $3, but we wanted to walk our own path, so off we went, wandering the cliff side and enjoying the views.

      The more south you go on this island, the better the prices will be to eat and do things. Stay away from the tourist traps if at all possible. Our favorite restaurants included La Lomita, Oscars (which is kind of more spendy but if you split it with lots of people for pizza, it's not bad), Mango Cafe (for the jalapeƱo margaritas and split because it is spendy and you get lots of food), and some hole in the walls by the salina walking from Oscars (sorry that's the best I can do, turn right at the gas station on the corner and look for red chairs).
Overall I enjoyed the Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment