Friday, May 29, 2015

Oh Canada Oh Canada and additional hiking



I live on the border. I literally look at Canada every day. But it wasn't until this month that I finally made it. Just across from the Gunflint Lodge, is what we call "the narrows", a view of where Gunflint Lake goes into Magnetic Lake. That is our border.  The left is the United States,  the right is Canada. And I was so excited to explore a little bit of Canada. Now you are supposed to get a little hiking visa before you do this so don't go getting yourself in trouble because this excites you too, but I dropped on over to the Canada side for a nice little hike. I went to the highest point in the immediate area for these views and my oh my I'm sure glad I did.



I also dropped by the historic  Dutch Ovens. Next we moved on down the lake to check out a mysterious ladder on the US side.

It led us to a beautiful little trail.




And an adorable,  completely off the grid cabin.

Since obviously this little place has an owner out there, we abandoned our snooping to head on down to Bridal Falls. They aren't too big but oh my how I love something about falling water always.




I just had to climb it.


Watch out for tics though, I found them all over me, and for days after searching myself, showering and all.


Oh and I made a friend- I call him Buddy, but I scared him and he pee'd on me a little.

Last stop was a nice glance at Galliger Island . After passing the marker noting where the US-Canada border is, in Magnetic Lake, is this beautiful little private island owned by some awesome guys I've had the opportunity to visit with a bit. They claim the island has some mysterious things go about with it, but to me I do nothing but admire the history and architecture that has been preserved so carefully for our viewing.



Overall it was a wonderful venture on a rented boat through Gunflint Lodge. Good company, good views, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment